Mips: frivolous notes of the Skyylark

3/31/2006

Robert Pollard and his flying beer bottles

Last night, I felt like I was on the verge of getting really sick. (And I am now, thanks for your concern.) Thus, I went to a rock show. In my defense, I think the vibration of the booming bass cleared my sinuses. But I just poured myself a tall glass of orange juice, so I'm good to go.

So I went to First Ave. and saw Robert Pollard of Guided By Voices. Robert, or as he called himself, "Uncle Bob", is a fifty-something with the stamina, stage savy, and drinking ability of a twenty-something. He belted out tune after catchy rock tune for a good two hours, performing each one as though it were the first. His voice was in stellar shape, and it's very reminiscent of bands of the British Invasion. (Which is always good in my book.) I was impressed, 'cause I've seen rock shows where vocalists half his age grow hoarse after the second song. All the while, he smoked, swigged Tequila, spun his mic around like a lasso, and tossed beer bottles. What a pro. Great fun for all.

And I guess this ageless rockstar used to be a grade-school teacher. Needless to say, he's found himself a new fan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home