Mips: frivolous notes of the Skyylark

4/26/2008

Ladies and Gentlemen: the Great Missini!


Balance. It's a hard thing to achieve. Balancing the family with the friends, with the love-life, with the band, with the financial obligations, with the career, with the home/self-maintenance, with the extra-curricular, with medical concerns, with religion and politics, with world events, with the me time... And many of these intersect, which makes things all the more confusing. And I must confess, I really don't have as many elements to prioritize as most people do. I have yet to achieve balance, and quite honestly, the people that appear to have it scare the shit out of me. But I don't believe I can begin to have balance until some sort of constancy occurs in my life.

However, when you really think about it, isn't imbalance one of the crucial ingredients to keeping life interesting and fresh? I think the reason that seemingly balanced, perfect people frighten me so, is that I imagine how awfully boring their lives must be. No surprises and no true attachments to one or two focused areas, just routine, unchanging fairness and stability. Bleh. Does balance mean boredom?

So what am I getting at; if it isn't truly balance that I seek, than what is going to rescue me from this crooked merry-go-round of options I continually jump on? Trying seat after seat, seeing which one suits me best. Is there a right seat? Maybe I need to ditch the merry-go-round altogether.
Perhaps the key to achieving balance and avoiding boredom is surrounding yourself with people/things/endeavors that you love and that keep things sparky and interesting. 'Cause I do believe that there are people on this earth and endeavors to pursue that I will never grow tired of. I know it's a very Hallmark conclusion to the mad rantings of a woman who's seen too much snow in one winter, but it's true. I have yet to accomplish the task of fully immersing myself with these people/things, but I think I have a damn good start.

3 Comments:

  • At April 27, 2008 at 5:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Please don't sneeze, oh great Missini! I want a merry-go-round ride too!

     
  • At May 5, 2008 at 11:58 AM , Blogger cK said...

    Ah, balance. I think I try to talk a good game with that, but as anyone in my life knows, I'm quite wobbly.

    And not just metaphorically and financially. I mean physically too! I walk into door frames probably thrice per week. It's a thing I do.

    Just don't let the worry about balance be what keeps you off-kilter! If it's life itself, well, that's life. And it ain't bad. Happy days to you, Missini.
    -cK

     
  • At May 5, 2008 at 6:15 PM , Blogger Missy said...

    cK, good to hear from ya! I miss your frequent blog entries (as does the rest of the Carlson clan)! But I'm sure you're busy busy. Hope you're doing well:)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home