Mips: frivolous notes of the Skyylark

6/16/2006

Writing/beef taco

I enjoy writing. I may not be all that good at it, but I enjoy it. However, this remains true only if I'm allowed to write sporadically and without deadline. I've always hated creative writing teachers who made me write everyday. I have a sort of, "if you can't do it well, don't do it", stubborness to my character. So if I feel that I'm going to write crap that particular day, I just avoid writing altogether. I realize this is not a healthy philosophy; I just can't help it.

Today, for example, is a day that I feel I have nothing interesting to share with my fellow human beings. Since it's summer break and I'm no longer teaching, I have more time on my hands, however I have less to write about. Honestly, do you all want to hear me drone on about the beef taco I had for lunch? Or are you all just dying to read paragraphs and paragraphs on how I couldn't, for the life of me, remember how to spell the word, "sporatically"? Not so much.

Conflict is what creates a story. Reality TV producers know this a little too well, which is why you'll never see a calm, rational person on, "The Apprentice: Season 9". However, if I were a cracker-jack writer, and if reality TV producers had one quarter of an average sized-brain, conflict would no longer be an issue. If I were Shakespeare, the consumption of my beef taco would have equal dramatic pull to... say,... the apocalypse: "For I ne'er tasted true beauty 'til this night!"

I'm not sure where I'm going with this. I guess I'm just forcing myself to write in a time when the creativity gods are not smiling down on me. The Conan O'Brien show is now over, the Carson Daly show has just started and I've been too preoccupied to change the channel. Alas, a ray of optimism has just struck me. Whenever I feel particularly mediocre and creatively bankrupt, all I have to do to lift my spirits is remind myself: "Atleast I'm not Carson Daly, atleast I'm not Carson Daly...".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home